How To Take Care Of Porcelain VeneersBy Dr Anthony Hua
Porcelain veneers are a trusted treatment solution for many people seeking improved dental aesthetics. Comprising thin shells of ceramic, these veneers are bonded to the front of teeth to help correct imperfections. Their maintenance, however, is vital for preserving their integrity and appearance. Here’s a comprehensive guide on taking care of your porcelain veneers.
Understanding Porcelain Veneers: A Brief Overview
Porcelain veneers are not just cosmetic solutions; they serve as protective barriers against potential damage, discolouration and can also assist in minimising cracks. Created from the highest quality, hand-crafted ceramic, well-made veneers are resistant to staining and closely mimic the translucency and texture of real teeth.
Daily Maintenance: The Key To Longevity
A solid daily care routine can enhance the lifespan and appearance of your veneers:
- Soft-bristled Toothbrush: This helps prevent any potential scratching of the veneer surface.
- Non-abrasive Toothpaste: Some toothpastes contain high levels of gritty particles which may erode the veneer’s polished finish.
- Brushing Technique: With manual brushing, gentle circular motions are recommended, avoiding horizontal scrubbing. With electric toothbrushing, be sure to clean all surfaces of your teeth, and remember that only minimal pressure is required for a thorough clean.
- Flossing: Essential to remove debris from between teeth. Ensure it’s done carefully to avoid chipping the veneer’s margins.
- Mouthwash: Use alcohol-free versions to help prevent weakening of the bonding agent holding the veneer in place.
Foods & Drinks: What to Embrace and Avoid
Good Choices: Opt for foods that don’t pose a risk to the veneers’ integrity. Dairy products are beneficial as they neutralise oral acids and support enamel health.
Avoid: Foods and drinks with strong pigments like turmeric, red wine and certain fruits which can stain the edges of veneers. Also, avoid hard or crunchy foods as they can exert undue pressure, risking chipping.
Regular Dental Check-Ups: A Must for Veneer Health
Dental check-ups are not just about cavities. They provide:
- Veneer Assessment: This ensures they remain properly bonded and in good condition.
- Professional Cleaning: To remove plaque and calculus, especially near veneer margins.
- Early Problem Detection: Addressing minor issues before they escalate.
Potential Complications and How to Address Them
With the passage of time, some issues might arise:
- Chipping or Cracking: This can result from trauma, biting hard substances or sometimes from grinding teeth during sleep.
- Solution: If a minor chip occurs, a dentist can often smooth it out. For larger chips or cracks, the veneer might need to be replaced. For individuals known to grind their teeth, an occlusal splint could be recommended to help protect the veneers.
- Discolouration or Staining: Over time, the edges of veneers, particularly where the veneer meets the natural tooth, may become stained, especially if regularly exposed to strong pigments.
- Solution: Regular professional cleaning can help in reducing staining. However, if the discolouration persists, the dentist might consider polishing the veneer’s edge or recommend a veneer replacement.
- De-bonding or De-lamination: In rare cases, the veneer might detach from the tooth, or its top layer might peel off.
- Solution: If the veneer comes off intact, it can sometimes be rebonded to the tooth. However, if there’s any damage, a replacement is often necessary.
Investing in Professional Cleaning: Going Beyond Regular Brushing
Professional cleaning offers thorough care:
- Ultrasonic Scaling: Helps remove hardened calculus and hard to reach plaque without affecting the veneer surface.
- Polishing: Restores veneer’s shine, using non-abrasive polish.
- Fluoride Treatment: Strengthens tooth structure around veneers, reducing the risk of decay.
Your Next Steps
At Burleigh Dental Studio, our aim is to ensure your veneers remain as impeccable as your smile. From professional advice to technical solutions, our expert team can assist with the comprehensive management of your veneers. For guidance on veneer care or other dental concerns, reach out to us on 5576 6208. Together, we’ll ensure your smile remains bright and healthy.
Article by Dr Anthony Hua – Principal Dentist
Dr Anthony Hua is the Founder & Principal Dentist at Burleigh Dental Studio. His passion, expertise and dedication to the field of dentistry have been recognised by his achievement of Fellowship status with the Australian Society of Implant Dentistry (ASID) and the International Congress of Oral Implantologists (ICOI).
FIND US HERE