How Do I Know if I Need a Dental Filling?By Dr Anthony Hua
Dental fillings for many individuals can be a normal part of life. Even if you eat well, cut down on sugar and have a good oral hygiene routine, small holes can develop over time. The hardest part is recognising if you have a tooth that needs a filling, because without routine checks, you may not be experiencing pain and may not know your tooth has a hole. Early detection can be the difference between a small cavity and a larger one which generally results in more tooth destruction and cost to remedy.
Some of the most common signs that you may need a filling will be if:
- You have tooth pain when biting or chewing
- Food is commonly getting stuck around certain teeth
- Excessive tooth sensitivity with hot or cold temperatures
- Dark holes or spots that you can see or feel with your tongue
- Visible cracks or fractures
Dental fillings can be used to remove decay or cracks and help minimise further damage to keep your tooth protected. The cavities weaken the tooth structure which then leads to further decay and possible infection of the tooth’s nerve. While often we like to leave a dentist visit unless we are experiencing pain, earlier detection and restoration can help prevent the possibility of requiring something much more extensive down the track such as root canal treatment or extraction. Rest assured your dentist will ensure you are comfortable throughout the process with discomfort management techniques and local anaesthetic if required.
If you’re wondering if you even need a filling, your dentist will be able to tell by conducting a thorough assessment to ensure your cavities are diagnosed and suitable treatment is performed which may include a filling. The sure signs and symptoms of a cavity include experiencing pain and discomfort, or visual cues such as tooth darkening, cracks, and holes.
How can my dentist help?
- If you experience any of these signs or symptoms, make an appointment with your dentist
- A good dentist will recommend a suitable treatment according to your level of tooth decay or fracture
- Common methods of assisting detection include assessment of discoloured spots on teeth and use of instruments to probe for cavities that may not be obvious initially as well as x-rays used to show decay developing in the enamel on the sides of teeth as well as in the dentine under enamel
Expert advice on tooth fillings on the Gold Coast
If you suspect a cavity or dental issue, make an appointment with your local dentist. As the trusted and award-winning dentist in Gold Coast, Burleigh Dental Studio welcomes patients of all ages.
- Tooth filling services and a comprehensive range of dental procedures in the one location making your dental treatment efficient, comfortable, and convenient
- Complete thorough dental assessments utilising world-class equipment and technology to accurately identify and treat cavities before they worsen
- We centre on protecting and strengthening your teeth, our fillings help you take better care of your dental health.
Article by Dr Anthony Hua – Principal Dentist
Dr Anthony Hua is the Founder & Principal Dentist at Burleigh Dental Studio. His passion, expertise and dedication to the field of dentistry have been recognised by his achievement of Fellowship status with the Australian Society of Implant Dentistry (ASID) and the International Congress of Oral Implantologists (ICOI).
FIND US HERE